Saturday, January 29, 2011

Should homosexuals be permitted to serve in the armed forces?


I absolutely think that homosexuals should be permitted to serve in the armed forces. Refusing them this right, is like refusing an African American the right to go to school and get an education. If you did not allow them this right, it would be treating them less of a human being. We live in the country where all men are created equal, and all should be allowed to exercise their rights. I think about whether or not I would want to serve in the armed forces, and very quickly I know my response, No. There is no desire inside of me, that wants to serve in the armed forces. So, if someone else wanted to take my place, and they happen to be of a homosexual orientation, go right ahead! This also brings me to ask the question, do we think being homosexual is a disease, or in any way a faulty genetic that might keep someone from performing to their optimum in the service? Our orientation makes no more judgement on our character, than the color of our skin. I also want to ask if this question is directed toward the population that consider themselves lesbian? When did our sexual orientation come to be a judgement of our physical abilities, or whether or not we are worth being allowed to participate in certain activities? This makes me think of a famous quote by Martin Luther King Jr. I feel this quote really resonates with this discussion question.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
-Martin Luther King Jr.-






No comments:

Post a Comment